Hotlines provide immediate advice or referrals, but they do not do research over the phone or answer more complex questions. If you need help with research, see the Libraries/Legal Research, Walk-In Clinics or Legal Aid/Self-Help tabs. If you need answers to more complex questions, see the Legal Aid/Self-Help tab or the Subject Index.
- 24 hours/7 days a week toll free hotline: 1-888-LAHELP-U (1-888-524-3578). They provide guidance for parents seeking child support. There are charges for enforcement. See website for more information and locations across the state. New Orleans office: Dept. of Children and Family Services, 1630 Iberville Street, Suite 2800, New Orleans, LA 70112. Fax: (504) 556-9708.
- provides legal representation in a select number of civil right cases for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV. The website has laws by state that protect LGBT people and people living with HIV, and a help desk to answer questions and provide referrals. They do not accept walk-in inquiries. You can also fill out a help desk form online or call toll free 1-(866) 542-8336, locally at their South Central Regional Office: (214) 219-8585, fax: (214) 219-4455.
provides free advice on civil legal issues, forms, legal services outreach (see “Tour” on their website) and self-help resource centers. See their website to fill out an intake form. Call toll free: (800) 310-7029, or locally (504) 355-0970. Hours are Mon.-Fri. 9:00-4:00.
- is a coalition of statewide shelters that provide advocacy, resources and referrals, including legal services, for victims of domestic abuse. See Program and Resources on their website for a list of help centers by parish. Contact: P.O. Box 77308, Baton Rouge, LA 70879. The Louisiana statewide hotline is available 24 hours/7 days a week: (888) 411-1333, or locally (225) 752-1296.
- provides environmental regulatory assistance to small businesses and communities, investigates environmental violations, takes enforcement actions and assesses penalties to agencies in violation of state environmental laws. Call their 24 hour toll free hotline to report an environmental concern 1-(888) 763-5424, or locally Mon.-Fri. 8:00-4:30, (225) 219-3640, after business hours (225) 342-1234, or file a complaint online. Complaints can be made anonymously by phone Mon.-Fri. 9:00-3:00. Call to report an incidence of littering or illegal dumping 1-(888) 548-7284.
provides 24 hour assistance to victims of domestic abuse. Call toll free: (888) 411-1333.
- provides legal representation and advocacy for victims of domestic or date violence, sexual assault, stalking, and immigration issues affecting victims of human trafficking. Contact: 24 hour crisis hotline: (504) 837-5400.
National Center for Lesbian Rights - provides free legal assistance to LGBT people and their legal advocates, litigating precedent-setting cases at the trial and appellate court levels. Call their toll free legal help line: Mon.-Fri. 9:00-5:00 Pacific Time (800) 528-6257, or (415) 392-6257. Email a brief description: Info@NCLRights.org, or submit an online form.